Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie

Author: Kate DiCamillo

Genre: Fiction

Major Awards: Texas Bluebonnet Award, Newbery Honor Award

Grade Level: 3-5

Summary: Opal Buloni was not happy when her and her father moved in the summer. Not only did her mother leave her when she was young, but now her friends and the place she knew as home are changing. One day, however, Opal meets a dog, later named Winn-Dixie, who helps her take on a positive outlook. Her dog helped her meet some interesting characters, Naomi (the librarian), Miss Franny, Gloria Dump, and Otis (the pet store worker). Throughout the book Opal talks with her new friends and they swap stories. This makes Opal miss her mother and she often wishes that she could sit down and swap stories with her. The summer takes a turn for the worse when right before a big party that Opal and Gloria planned, a thunderstorm hit and Winn-Dixie ran away. While looking for their dog in the pouring rain, Opal and her father talk about her mother and Opal realizes that she is not going to come back. She also realizes, however, that she has friends and family who do love her. Once Opal and her father get to Gloria's house (where the party is), Opal is angry that everyone is having fun while Winn-Dixie is missing, but she soon discovers that he was sleeping at the house all along. The book ends with Opal listening as everyone sings together.

Evaluation: When I first read this coming-of-age story, I was probably in second grade or so. It instantly became a favorite because of the raw emotion. I remember crying as Opal wept during the storm when her and her dad were looking for Winn-Dixie and how she didn't think he would know because of the rain. I will definitely have this book in my class. Hopefully it will touch other hearts like it touched mine.

I think that while this book can be enjoyed by younger readers and that it may not be difficult reading-wise, the themes might be hard for younger children to grasp. That being said, I would definitely allow a younger student who wanted to read it do so because it may very well be the best thing for them to get through a similar tough time.

I don't think I would want to make a lesson or unit out of this book. I would rather just have my class read it as a class book or me read it aloud just for the pure excitement and joy of reading. It truly is a wonderful book and I wouldn't want to take that away by trying to force a lesson onto my students.

Comments