The Invisible String

The Invisible String

Author: Patrice Karst

Illustrator: Geoff Stevenson

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Major Awards: None

Grade Level: Pre-K-2

Summary: Twins Liza and Jeremy are awoken one night by a storm outside. They run to their mother, who tells them to go to bed, but they say they want to stay with her. She says she is always with them through the "Invisible String," which is made of love. The children take turns asking who has one and how far the string can reach. The mother says that even when she is upset with them, the string cannot be broken because love is stronger than anger. The story ends with the twins getting back in bed, sleeping peacefully while dreaming about the invisible strings that connect everyone in the world.

Evaluation: While I did enjoy this book, I think I would reserve it for my own personal bookshelf when I have children of my own. The book's message is that despite any challenge you face, fear you have, or distance you are from your loved ones, you are never alone.

The story itself is not difficult to read and has repetitive vocabulary and large images that support the text, making it a perfect fit for young readers who are learning to read independently (pre-k through second).

I cannot picture myself using this in a classroom as a whole group read aloud or paired with a lesson. The only thing I can think to use it for would be if a child was having problems like separation anxiety or if they recently lost someone.

Comments